Last of our five-part series on quick Asian dishes.
Today is 08-08-08, a very auspicious number to the Chinese. It’s also Jaden’s birthday today (what a lucky gal!), so I’m posting a very special, yet quick, Chinese dish in her honor.
Steamed Shiitake Mushrooms with Bok Choy and Fatt Choy
adapted from “At Home with Amy Beh” by Amy Beh
10 fresh shiitake mushrooms
A small handful of fatt choy
6-8 bok choy, washed and cut in half lengthwise
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp Shaoxing wine
1/2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp sesame oil
a dash of white pepper
1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp water
- Get a pot of water and a two-level steamer boiling.
- Put fatt choy in the boiling water with a few drops of sesame oil and a pinch of salt. Soak for a few minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Season the shiitake mushrooms with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp oyster sauce, 1 tsp sugar and 1 Tbsp sesame oil. Steam the mushrooms in the first steamer level for 15 minutes.
- In another pot, bring the sauce ingredients (except the cornstarch) to a boil. Add the cornstarch slurry to the sauce to thicken it.
- Steam the bok choy in the second steamer level until they turn bright green, about 8 minutes.
- Arrange the steamed bok choy in a circle with the tops pointing inward on a plate. Pile the shiitakes on top, pour sauce over vegetables and then garnish with the fatt choy.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JADEN! SUN YAT FAI LOK!