How to Make Piggy Mooncakes

Here’s a fun and cute way to use up the leftover dough and filling after making a batch of Traditional Baked Mooncakes.

Piggy Mooncakes

Tip 3.5: Play Some More

Remember the Three Important Tips I had for making traditional baked mooncakes? They were 1) Patience, 2) Precision, and 3) Play. Well, I guess you could call this play too but I had to make it a separate post.

Being that you only use so little of the skin dough in each mooncake, you are likely to end up with extra portions of mooncake skin dough.  This dough is actually really yummy on its own.

Piggy Mooncakes Ready to Bake

Piggy Mooncakes ready to bake

We Chinese are not known to waste food and so the leftovers were used to make little biscuits in the shape of animals.  Pigs and fish seem to be common themes though I have no idea why. Sometimes, there is a little filling in them and at other times, they are made with just the dough.  Either ways, they are good eats.

Piggy Mooncakes Getting an Egg Wash

Piggy Mooncakes getting an egg wash

To make them is so much fun.  Esther wanted to make them too and she said that it was like playing with playdoh which I agree. Watch this video for a demonstration on how you could make your own:

Esther and the Three Pigs

Eshter and the Three Pigs

Cheers, Annie

Follow our blog for more fun posts like this one! Subscribe to receive new updates via RSS or email.

37 Comments Post a Comment
  1. Anncoo says:

WOW! The piggies look so cute. :)

2. babe_kl says:

I dislike mooncakes cos they’re mostly sickly sweet except for such piggy biscuits. i wonder if i hv time to make any this year!

• Nate says:

Babe –

we also don’t like sickly sweet mooncakes. That’s why we used the low-sugar lotus paste instead of normal.

3. Stuart Rubenstein says:

These are so different looking than what I am used to seeing. I think this recipe was quite creative.

Stuart

4. The piggy biscuits is too cute! this brings back fond childhood memories.

5. They look so cute! Stuff them with bacon and you’re on to something! LOL.

6. Hi guys! I spotted these adorable piggies on Tastespotting and I just had to drop by and tell you how much I love them!

So adorable! What a great way to use the leftover dough from making mooncakes :)

7. Winnie says:

They look so incredibly cute !
    Thanks so much for the video. Hope to try that soon

8. Elle Marie says:

These piggy mooncakes look adorable… bet you had lots of fun making them. So cute.

9. myFudo says:

Wow, looks really nice. so cute. Bet you had fun making the mooncakes.

10. These are absolutely wonndderffulll :) Truly gorgeous!

11. Liz says:

How cute is that? I have always loved pigs and would love to make these!

12. Valerie says:

That’s absolutely adorable! Brilliant use of extra dough. :D

13. Baby Sumo says:

That’s so cute. It shd be a fun activity to do with kids, ya?

14. tracy says:

hi annie. . can i have the recipe for the piglet biscuit? i akways fail doing the biscuit. too hard. is it coz of my flour or heat of the oven? how many degree i need to use to bake the biscuits?

15. Wendy says:

Didn’t know people used leftover dough to make the cute pig biscuits. That’s a good way to use it and kids love them.

16. Cheah says:

These lazy piggies look very cute. Yes, good way to use up the dough. I used to look forward to them when I was a kid and they come with a little plastic cage!

17. sophia says:

Mooncakes used to be my favorite dessert EVER. I always left out the salted egg yolk, but I loved, loved mooncakes. I actually started baking because I wanted to make mooncakes in U.S.A without having to pay crazy prices. These piggy ones are SO adorable!

18. Carolyn Jung says:

OMG!!! These are the cutest mooncakes ever. Seriously, I’d be hard pressed to eat one. I’d just want to stare at it all day instead. ;)

• Nate says:

Carolyn,

thanks! They are pretty cute, aren’t they?

We made several, and eaten a few (not the cutest ones) already. Not bad!

19. Elizabeth Cheah says:

Annie and Esther – well done on the little pigs mooncake! Really great video to show how it´s done. They look too cute to be eaten :)

20. Liz says:

OH GOSH! These are too adorable!

21. SUPER CUTE!!!! Wow…. I can’t even make these cute piggie with playdough! You are amazing!

22. Jenny says:

That is the most adorable video and I love watching how the pig is shaped. Two things struck me while watching:

1) Annie has very pretty fingernails and
    2) Esther has such a cute voice

I know I’m supposed to be watching the dough, but can’t help noticing the rest, too! :)

• Nate says:

Jenny -

Yes, Annie has lovely fingers, doesn’t she?
      Esther has picked up a little of that Malaysian accent. I hope she keeps it, but learns to speak proper grammar in the future. ;-P

23. Alaiyo Kiasi says:

When I read your post and saw the Piggy Mooncake photos, I decided immediately that the would be too tough to make. However, after watching the video you included, I feel much more confident about trying the recipe.

I was absolutely inspired by your blog and will be returning.

Cheers,

Alaiyo

• Nate says:

Alaiyo

Welcome, and thanks for commenting! I’m glad you’re liking our blog :)

Also glad we could connect over Twitter at #FoodieChat. Please do subscribe by email or RSS reader to get our blog updates, as you might miss them on the Twitter firehose.

24. Alaiyo Kiasi says:

Absolutely! I was looking for a way to join, but I’ll certainly subscribe to the feed. I’m excited that we met on #foodiechat and look forward to more of your wonderful posts!

Alaiyo